Content developers are constantly looking for ways to strengthen or boost their position in the search engine results pages (SERPs). Creating compelling content that is also rooted in facts, informative and entertaining all at the same time goes a long way towards achieving that goal.
Listed below are a few search engine optimization (SEO) pointers for the content developers and publishers to grow their audience:
- Optimizing the website architecture: Undertaking mobile optimization and structured data will definitely help any website to attain a good position in the search engine results pages. However, it is highly imperative for content developers to optimize their website architecture in order to strengthen and boost (if possible) that position. They can enable the search engines to crawl and index their website by: having consistent and noticeable primary navigation, having a visible sitemap, along with defining the editorial universe in their website home page.
- Following the on-page search engine optimization best practices: Some of these on-page SEO best practices include: setting up SEO titles using keywords, fully utilizing the meta descriptions and creating compelling calls to action (CTA), using the SEO titles as the headlines for the content, and using subheadings within the entire content.
- Adding author biographies along with their pictures: It is a good practice to add the biographies and pictures (if possible) of the authors of content as it helps in gaining the trust of the visitors to the website. This is a user experience aspect that helps content developers in establishing their expertise, authority and trustworthiness (E-A-T) within the search engine results pages.
- Optimizing for Google Discover: Optimizing the content for Google Discover enables the users in discovering the topics/concepts related to their interests easily based on their browser history, search history, app activity and location. This optimizing can be done by: consistently developing engaging and trustworthy content, retaining evergreen content, using images and videos within the content, as well as by supporting multiple languages.
- Using attention-grabbing featured images: Making use of original art, graphics, and custom images related to the content will grab the attention of the readers. It is essential to compress the images for increasing the page load speed, customizing the image file names (using keywords for names), writing SEO-friendly alt text for the images, making the images mobile-friendly, and clearly defining the image file path structure.
- Publishing industry news instantly: It is a good practice to be first in line while trying to publish industry related news on individual websites. This can be done by: following RSS feeds and creating Twitter lists, joining the Facebook and LinkedIn groups, as well as monitoring the competitors’ activities through social media.
- Making use of other channels to support their search engine optimization: Making use of other channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Tiktok can gain leads and support the website’s search engine optimization efforts.
- Inserting images and videos in the content: Inserting visual content such as images, videos and infographics can enhance the overall readability of the website as well as boost traffic to the website.
Content creation is an integral aspect of marketing. It is one of the most significant means for gaining traffic for any website. The content needs to be well researched, rooted in facts, able to keep the audience engaged, and compelling enough to merit repeat visitors to the website. The content should also be easily understandable and user-friendly.
Having powerful and noteworthy content in a website enables users to engage with the site, buy the products/services offered by the brand/business, push impressions for ad space, and fill the lead forms placed in the website. The content of any website is what drives people to link with the website ‘naturally.’ the content can be in any shape (text only, text with images, infographics, etc), size (short or long-form) or form (data, informative resources, the methods of performing specific tasks, quizzes that are contextually relevant, along with Q & A (question and answer) sessions); while covering a wide variety of topics. Content provides details about the webpage in the form of header tags, title tags, internal links, and such.
It is imperative to have a natural-mix of the different types of backlinks such as:
- Branded links, keyword-rich links, and citations
- Dofollow, nofollow, and sponsored user generated content (UGC)
- Bloggers and producers of other types of content, comments, news/media, as well as freebies from the online communities and forums
- Industry resource sections, directories and local guides
Content makes use of internal linking to help website developers in building the site structure and architecture. Developing a natural internal linking structure helps marketers in directing the users towards useful and informative resources as well as the purchasing options offered by the content related to buying (comparison guides, product/service lists). This enables search engine spiders as well as the website visitors crawl and navigate the website easily. They can find the most relevant topics and pages within the website in a natural way.