Trolling on social media has become quite the norm these days. Trolls have, as a matter of fact, become a necessary evil in today’s world. People who post generally out of context and inflammatory comments are labelled ‘trollers.’
A few of these trolls can be thought-provoking, and considered to be a form of constructive criticism, which in turn can help improve the performance in any area/field the people getting trolled are working in. On the other hand, some of the trolls are also provocative, intended to cause harm (emotional upset, large-scale fear, instigation to retaliate in some form or another).
There are several ways of dealing with the ‘trollers.’ Some of the most effective ways to mitigate the consequences of trolling are as listed below:
- Responding with actual, verified facts
- Banning or blocking them
- Employing moderators to handle the social media accounts of a brand/business
- Limiting the social media profiles to friends-only
- Reporting the trollers, as a last resort (ir, if things go too far)
A few major upgrades have been made to search engine optimization (SEO) in recent times.
Some of the developments include:
- Planning for the future and implementing existing techniques in the present: It is very important to implement existing search engine optimization techniques during the present times; which have already been tried and tested. Planning for the future involves
- Google has become stringent on its indexing of content: It is imperative to develop high quality content that has been well-researched in order to satisfy the user intent. The content needs to be factually correct and authenticated by authoritative sources. It is a good practice to include references at the end of any piece of content. Building internal and external links ensures that the content reaches the audience through social media as well as through websites other than the one which contains the content.
- Featured snippets and ranking pages have made Google better: Featured snippets have enabled Google to extract content easily.
- Google search console and Analytics data give a clear picture of rankings: Google Analytics data helps in keeping track of the positioning as well as the performance of websites within the search engine results pages (SERPs).
It is highly imperative to send the correct crawling, indexing and ranking signals to Google: Sending the correct crawling, indexing and ranking signals to Google (or any other search engine) is highly imperative. It is also essential to keep in mind sitemaps and internal link structure of the websites.
Social media site Snapchat is now enabling its users to publicly display the count of followers or subscribers of their accounts. This feature has been made available in the form of an option button for the users. Previously, only the Snapchat account holders could view the number of followers of their accounts.
Now they can present this number of followers (subscribers) for everybody to view. Snapchat influencers and potential influencers can make the most of this update since it enables them to gain an audience. This audience can gradually grow and turn into followers/subscribers for the influencer accounts as well; resulting in a boost in advertising and sponsorship opportunities for the influencers. The total number of followers/subscribers (actual size of the audience) can also impact the effectiveness of such opportunities.
Displaying the follower count also enables the Snapchat account holders to gain more followers; as people naturally follow what most of the others are following or have subscribed to. If any brand/business has a large number of followers/subscribers in its Snapchat account; it can be easily deduced that the brand/business is highly popular with a loyal customer base, implying that it is reliable and trustworthy.
Online furniture and home products marketplace Pepperfry has recently rolled out a new TVC ad campaign titled ‘Family Times = Pepperfry Times’ to celebrate the occasion of the upcoming festival of Diwali. The ad was created by Law & Kenneth (L&K) Saatchi & Saatchi and is being broadcast across social media sites such as FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
The TVC (television commercial) depicts a father and a daughter indulging in a light-hearted banter, arguing over who gets to sit in the one armchair which is in the spot closest to the WiFi in the house. The father states that he has a conference call, while the daughter announces that her classes will begin in five minutes. They engage in a staredown for a few seconds, before the daughter asks him to talk to ‘mumma’ and turns away. Then the father asks whether she would like to choose her Diwali gift. The ad ends with the daughter receiving another armchair from her father as a Diwali gift; which she positions next to her father’s chair.
With the tagline “Kuch Apne Liye, Kuch Apnon ke Liye”, the ad signifies how people can enjoy themselves at home and celebrate the festive spirit from t=inside the house.
YouTube has introduced new updates to its mobile app in order to enhance the mobile viewing experience for users. These updates include adjustments of the existing features, as well as the addition of new features; such as: better use of video chapters, more streamlined player page, new gestures, suggested actions, and bedtime reminders.
- Better use of video chapters: YouTube has included a new list view, which enables users to browse and watch videos in a chronological order; after they tap or click on the chapter title in the app. Every chapter title will include a thumbnail which previews the content contained in the chapter.
- More systematized player page: A few changes have been made to the player page, such as: the closed captions (CC) button being shifted to the top, the autoplay toggle switch being shifted to the top; and the other buttons being rearranged as well.
- New gestures: YouTube has now simplified the process of entering and exiting the full screen mode. Users need to simply swipe up to enter the full screen mode and swipe down to exit it. They can also tap the time-stamp to instantly toggle between displaying the time elapsed and the time remaining.
- Suggested actions: YouTube has also introduced suggested actions which compel the users to either rotate their phones or play the video in virtual reality (VR) mode.
Bedtime reminders: Users can now set reminders in YouTube for particular times, which will enable them to stop watching the videos and go to bed.
Social media network Pinterest is introducing new feature updates for the benefit of merchants. These updates enable merchants to set up shop, create sales and estimate their results. Over the past few months, the number of Pinterest users who are engaged with shopping has risen greatly.
The gap between people shopping and people buying online needs to be bridged. This is why Pinterest is enabling merchants to direct users towards taking the next steps in their buyer journey. Pinterest is assisting merchants by providing updates to: merchant storefront profile and discovery, product catalogs, product tagging, conversion analytics and automatic bidding in ad campaigns.
Pinterest users can now view the merchant recommendations based on the product category that they are looking for; whenever they browse for ideas related to shopping. Merchants can now tag their product images with the actual products with the help of a new tagging tool. They can also update their catalogues using a new and modified interface; as well as combine the catalogs and collections in new ad format. The merchants can activate their shopping ads and regulate the feed ingestion. Pinterest’s new conversion analytics enable retailers to compress all the data in a familiar funnel and also review the conversion performance. Automatic bidding for shopping now enables the merchants to track, measure, as well as boost their sales.