Trolling on social media has become quite the norm these days. Trolls have, as a matter of fact, become a necessary evil in today’s world. People who post generally out of context and inflammatory comments are labelled ‘trollers.’
A few of these trolls can be thought-provoking, and considered to be a form of constructive criticism, which in turn can help improve the performance in any area/field the people getting trolled are working in. On the other hand, some of the trolls are also provocative, intended to cause harm (emotional upset, large-scale fear, instigation to retaliate in some form or another).
There are several ways of dealing with the ‘trollers.’ Some of the most effective ways to mitigate the consequences of trolling are as listed below:
- Responding with actual, verified facts
- Banning or blocking them
- Employing moderators to handle the social media accounts of a brand/business
- Limiting the social media profiles to friends-only
- Reporting the trollers, as a last resort (ir, if things go too far)
A few major upgrades have been made to search engine optimization (SEO) in recent times.
Some of the developments include:
- Planning for the future and implementing existing techniques in the present: It is very important to implement existing search engine optimization techniques during the present times; which have already been tried and tested. Planning for the future involves
- Google has become stringent on its indexing of content: It is imperative to develop high quality content that has been well-researched in order to satisfy the user intent. The content needs to be factually correct and authenticated by authoritative sources. It is a good practice to include references at the end of any piece of content. Building internal and external links ensures that the content reaches the audience through social media as well as through websites other than the one which contains the content.
- Featured snippets and ranking pages have made Google better: Featured snippets have enabled Google to extract content easily.
- Google search console and Analytics data give a clear picture of rankings: Google Analytics data helps in keeping track of the positioning as well as the performance of websites within the search engine results pages (SERPs).
It is highly imperative to send the correct crawling, indexing and ranking signals to Google: Sending the correct crawling, indexing and ranking signals to Google (or any other search engine) is highly imperative. It is also essential to keep in mind sitemaps and internal link structure of the websites.
Social media site Snapchat is now enabling its users to publicly display the count of followers or subscribers of their accounts. This feature has been made available in the form of an option button for the users. Previously, only the Snapchat account holders could view the number of followers of their accounts.
Now they can present this number of followers (subscribers) for everybody to view. Snapchat influencers and potential influencers can make the most of this update since it enables them to gain an audience. This audience can gradually grow and turn into followers/subscribers for the influencer accounts as well; resulting in a boost in advertising and sponsorship opportunities for the influencers. The total number of followers/subscribers (actual size of the audience) can also impact the effectiveness of such opportunities.
Displaying the follower count also enables the Snapchat account holders to gain more followers; as people naturally follow what most of the others are following or have subscribed to. If any brand/business has a large number of followers/subscribers in its Snapchat account; it can be easily deduced that the brand/business is highly popular with a loyal customer base, implying that it is reliable and trustworthy.
Online furniture and home products marketplace Pepperfry has recently rolled out a new TVC ad campaign titled ‘Family Times = Pepperfry Times’ to celebrate the occasion of the upcoming festival of Diwali. The ad was created by Law & Kenneth (L&K) Saatchi & Saatchi and is being broadcast across social media sites such as FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
The TVC (television commercial) depicts a father and a daughter indulging in a light-hearted banter, arguing over who gets to sit in the one armchair which is in the spot closest to the WiFi in the house. The father states that he has a conference call, while the daughter announces that her classes will begin in five minutes. They engage in a staredown for a few seconds, before the daughter asks him to talk to ‘mumma’ and turns away. Then the father asks whether she would like to choose her Diwali gift. The ad ends with the daughter receiving another armchair from her father as a Diwali gift; which she positions next to her father’s chair.
With the tagline “Kuch Apne Liye, Kuch Apnon ke Liye”, the ad signifies how people can enjoy themselves at home and celebrate the festive spirit from t=inside the house.
YouTube has introduced new updates to its mobile app in order to enhance the mobile viewing experience for users. These updates include adjustments of the existing features, as well as the addition of new features; such as: better use of video chapters, more streamlined player page, new gestures, suggested actions, and bedtime reminders.
- Better use of video chapters: YouTube has included a new list view, which enables users to browse and watch videos in a chronological order; after they tap or click on the chapter title in the app. Every chapter title will include a thumbnail which previews the content contained in the chapter.
- More systematized player page: A few changes have been made to the player page, such as: the closed captions (CC) button being shifted to the top, the autoplay toggle switch being shifted to the top; and the other buttons being rearranged as well.
- New gestures: YouTube has now simplified the process of entering and exiting the full screen mode. Users need to simply swipe up to enter the full screen mode and swipe down to exit it. They can also tap the time-stamp to instantly toggle between displaying the time elapsed and the time remaining.
- Suggested actions: YouTube has also introduced suggested actions which compel the users to either rotate their phones or play the video in virtual reality (VR) mode.
Bedtime reminders: Users can now set reminders in YouTube for particular times, which will enable them to stop watching the videos and go to bed.
Social media network Pinterest is introducing new feature updates for the benefit of merchants. These updates enable merchants to set up shop, create sales and estimate their results. Over the past few months, the number of Pinterest users who are engaged with shopping has risen greatly.
The gap between people shopping and people buying online needs to be bridged. This is why Pinterest is enabling merchants to direct users towards taking the next steps in their buyer journey. Pinterest is assisting merchants by providing updates to: merchant storefront profile and discovery, product catalogs, product tagging, conversion analytics and automatic bidding in ad campaigns.
Pinterest users can now view the merchant recommendations based on the product category that they are looking for; whenever they browse for ideas related to shopping. Merchants can now tag their product images with the actual products with the help of a new tagging tool. They can also update their catalogues using a new and modified interface; as well as combine the catalogs and collections in new ad format. The merchants can activate their shopping ads and regulate the feed ingestion. Pinterest’s new conversion analytics enable retailers to compress all the data in a familiar funnel and also review the conversion performance. Automatic bidding for shopping now enables the merchants to track, measure, as well as boost their sales.
Instagram has announced that it is increasing the time limit for live streaming from 1 hour to 4 hours. Users can now retain their audience for a long time even after the live stream gets over.
After the conclusion of a live stream, Instagram will recommend more live streams from other users for the viewers to watch.
There is a new section called ‘Live Now’ on IGTV (Instagram television); that enables users to discover live streams more easily.. Previously, only Instagram Stories and feed posts could be saved to a private archive; while the users could save their streams only if they were instantly published to IGTV. Instagram now also enables users to archive their streams for up to 30 days. This archive feature will replicate that function of archiving which is undertaken for the Stories and the feed posts. The fan badges previously introduced by Instagram also come into play here. Users can monetize their live streams through the use of fan badges. Viewers can choose among three badges. Once a user buys a badge, it will be displayed in front of the user’s name and their corresponding comments will be prioritized and positioned higher than those of other users.
LinkedIn is introducing new discovery features for virtual events on its platform. These features enable visitors to find the virtual events easily; thereby increasing attendance to the events. The event organizers can also gain leads from the event sign-ups. Brands and businesses can now obtain lead generation data from LinkedIn through these virtual events.
These features include: a new weekly events digest email newsletter and personalized event recommendations in the ‘My Network’ tab. LinkedIn also sends notifications to followers of a brand/business immediately whenever the brand/business posts an event on its page. LinkedIn determines which followers it needs to notify based on their interests as well as on the likelihood of their attending the event(s) mentioned. Also, the brands and businesses can make use of a free registration form for events to collect data such as the names and emails of the people who have signed up; thereby generating leads. The brands and businesses can also retarget the registrants of any of their previous events. These registration forms are optional; meaning that unregistered attendees can enter and leave the event as and when they want to; unlike the registered attendees, who need to stay the course until the event has ended. Event organisers cannot collect the data of unregistered attendees.
FaceBook has announced that it is introducing new features on WhatsApp which enable brands and businesses to sell faster online. These new features are related to shopping and payment; and they focus on three aspects: shopping, FaceBook hosting services, and business sales.
- Shopping: The purpose of developing the features on WhatsApp is that both consumers and the brand/business can benefit from having a customized online shopping platform along with all the suitable payment options. FaceBook is extending all the ways in which customers can purchase products directly from WhatsApp Chat. It is also concentrating on combining WhatsApp with the existing eCommerce applications which the brands and businesses have been using previously.
- FaceBook hosting services: FaceBook has stated that it is releasing new mechanisms to enable SMBs (small and medium sized businesses) to oversee their chat and sales presence. Brands and businesses can use these mechanisms which have also been proclaimed to ease the process of conducting transactions while the employees are working from home.
- Business Sales: FaceBook has announced that services such as chat, messaging and video calling will be offered free of charge while other services will be charged a certain amount.
A consumer opens WhatsApp to connect with a vendor, chats with the business, browses the catalog/inventory, adds product(s) to a shopping cart, reviews the order before paying for it, and then receives confirmation in a chat window on WhatsApp.
Indian hospitality chain OYO Hotels & Homes has commenced an advertising campaign which recently released its first advertisement featuring Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, who is also an asset owner at OYO. The ad has been broadcast across television, radio, as well as across the brand’s accounts on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The brief advert shows Sonu Sood (wearing a face mask) playing the role of a member of the OYO staff who sprays a hotel room (including the door knob, the switchboard, the TV remote control, the AC remote control, the table, and the curtain drawing rods) with disinfectant in front of a guest (who is also wearing the face mask) prior to his settling in. The actor uses the phrase ‘pehle spray, phir stay’ (first spray, then stay); in an effort to reassure the guest that OYO has been following and will continue to follow protocol by taking each and every safety precaution during these testing times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Actor Sonu Sood has also been associated with brands such as: PC brand Acer India, airline brand Spicejet Airlines, online medical consultation brand MFine, insurance brand Edelweiss Insurance, education and training organisation ISM Edutech, aerated drinks brand Pepsi, fruit import and export brand IG International, and so on.