Clickbait is generally not well-liked since clickbait headlines are usually sensationalist as well as misleading. But, when used in a proper manner, these clickbait headlines can be successful in grabbing users’ attention along with driving clicks.
Studies have shown that the headlines with ‘clickbait-y’ initial phrases can generate the most engagement. The headlines need to fascinate the viewers without misquoting what type of content they are going to find on the page. Such headlines help businesses gain credibility and potential customers.
The Proper Way to Make Use of Clickbait Headlines
A few of these clickbait headline formats are given below, which can help businesses in creating titles that will grab users’ attention as well as maintain trust in the brand:
- ‘X reasons why…’ in which viewers are intrigued about the reasons and so they will peruse the article
- ‘X things you…’ which is personalized and invites the viewers to learn more about themselves (loosely implied)
- Piggybacking in which a prominent figure or company related to the brand is referenced
- ‘This is what…’ which arouses curiosity in the viewers
- ‘This is the…’ which can quickly drive clicks and social shares
- ‘This is how…’ which gives a vague hint about the content and intrigues the viewers
- ‘You can now…’ which is personalized and enables viewers to do something they were previously unable to do
- ‘The last…you’ll ever need’ which attracts viewers since they can save time/money while making a one-time purchase
- ‘You won’t believe…’ which need to be descriptive so as not to mislead the viewers
- ‘Why you should…’ which provides useful tips and gives a strong reason for them
- ‘LIVE…’ which direct the viewers to a live video conference, or webinar
- ‘See…’ which creates an information gap that the viewers would be determined to fill